Faculty & Staff
Dr. J.E. Windrow
After earning a Ph.D. in 1937 from Peabody College, Dr. J.E. Windrow became director of Peabody Demonstration School, and his tenure as such would last through most of the 1940s. Assisting as school secretary was Ms. Clara Petit, a fixture at the Demonstration School since 1923.
Dr. Robert Owens Beachamp
In the 1940s, students had the option of taking general science, biology, or chemistry with Dr. Beauchamp. In 1947, he became associate director of the Demonstration School, having taught in the science department since 1923. In the dedication of the 1946 Volunteer, Beauchamp was noted by the students for his "understanding of our needs, untiring efforts on our behalf, and guidance in preparation for the science of life."
Ms. Christine Slayden (Tibbot) was a beloved teacher of the arts in the 1940s, and revived the Dramatics Club in 1944.
Fifth-grade teacher Ms. May Pitts was known for her garden at the corner of 21st and Edgehill Avenue, cultivated by her students under her supervision. Upon her retirement in 1948, a plaque was placed in the garden in her honor.
(Read more about Ms. Pitts here.)